23. nov. 2012

Cambodia and its history


Never been to Cambodia myself, but have plans to spend a period of time their next year. Spoken with a friend of mine that has been going to the country since the mid 90's and he left a lasting impression of a country that has a history of warfare; one that gave birth to corruption, violence, loss of cultural identity and so much more. This isn't meant to cast a completely pessimistic pall over the country or taint anyone's impression, actually I'm trying to widen my frame of reference and see how folks that have traveled/lived in Cambodia have experienced.
Is it safe? Corrupt? Unhealthy (disease).
What have your experiences been?
CathyP
I have been to Cambodia three times (fourth trip will be later this year in August) Gary also worked there for a year with UNTAC. I love the place and they are doing their best to get on with life. As a tourist we have never had any problems, there are some brilliant restaurants and shopping is fantastic.
I really love Phnom Penh oh and of course Seam Reap is a must do to see Angkor Wat etc etc.
Have a look at my link below as there is all the info and photos from our various trips there plus recommended restaurants etc etc.
Cathy
(to be continued)