30. okt. 2012

Itinerary help Laos 1


I have one month, starting and ending in Bangkok. I want to use most of my time to travel through Laos from north to south, and perhaps end my holiday with a few days on a Thai island, depending on how much I like 4000 islands or not (if I find that relaxing and fun I might stay there and head straight to Bangkok).
But I am having trouble deciding how / where to start... people have told me to go to Huay Xai and take a boat to Luang Prabang. But I am also interested in Nam Ha / doing some trekking.

What would be more practical?
A. Bangkok - Huay Xai - Luang Prabang - Nam Ha - backtrek to Luang Prabang or do a loop through northeastern Laos?
B. Bangkok - Huay Xai - Nam Ha - Luang Prabang > would I miss out much by not doing that boat trip?
C. Bangkok - Vientiane (I really like trains!) - Vang Vieng (depending on whether I can cope with it) - Luang Prabang - Nam Ha - loop back through northeastern Laos, or...?? Would I miss anything by skipping that Huay Xai corner of the country?

Any other suggestions and highlights welcome, i.e. itinerary suggestions, suggested stops along the way from Bangkok to Laos, highlights or hidden gems in Laos.
Thank you!
Lisa
-
No, you don't miss much not doing the two boring days on the slow boat; there are better boat trips anyway.
Like trains?
Train Bkk-Vinetiane
Then Vang-Vieng-Luang Prabang-boat trip Nam Ou to Nong Khiaw - Muang Ngoi-back to Nong Khiaw-Xam Neua-Phonsavanh -direct to Pakxan (buses dry season only)-ViengKham-Nahin/Khonglor-Thakek-Savn'ket-Pakse-Champasak-4000islands; then back into Thailand, by bus to Ubon Ratch, by train back to Bangkok.
Gets you away from the pancake trail a bit.

(to be continued)